Re: How to prevent CP destruction in the U.S. wilds

From: Carl Strohmenger (HSC) (cstrohme@hsc.usf.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 20 2000 - 03:41:09 PST

Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 06:41:09 -0500 (EST)
From: "Carl Strohmenger (HSC)" <cstrohme@hsc.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: How to prevent CP destruction in the U.S. wilds

I disagree. There is too much emphasis on getting the government to do
things that are important to us, but not important to the majority of
citizens.

If we want to protect CP bogs from destruction, we should BUY them. This
might be done through a private non-profit corpoaration established just
for this purpose and supported by donations by those who are interested in
preserving CP bogs. For those properties that have more widespread support
in the environmental community, we could involve already established
programs for protecting sensitive lands ( there is one in my community.)
There is also a national organization that purchases and sets aside
environmentally sensitive lands - I am sure they would appreciate a
donation, too.

It is maddening to hear the majority of folks advocate that, "the
government should do it!" The fact is that the government has limited
resources and responds to the most effective lobbying efforts. I suspect
that CP bog preservation lobbyists are not in the top 1000 lobbying groups.
So why would a politician want to set aside CP bogs to satisfy a small
group of enthusiasts? Answer: He would NOT.

Really folks, I think it is up to us to do the preserving if we really want
it to be done.

- Carl