Re: windowsill nepenthes

From: William Tsun-Yuk Hsu (hsu@tlaloc.sfsu.edu)
Date: Sat Nov 11 2000 - 12:16:39 PST

Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 12:16:39 -0800 (PST)
From: William Tsun-Yuk Hsu <hsu@tlaloc.sfsu.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: windowsill nepenthes

>Peter's book got me wondering about this question. I could happily grow a
>windowsill nepenthes as I have a perfect window for it. Peter shows a
<khasiana on the windowsill and it appeared to have very leathery leaves and
>in my experience leathery leaves are usually a good indicator of high
>low-humidity tolerance. I can humidify the room somewhat with a portable
>humidifier but I do have forced-air heat so that might not help much.

I have some nepenthes growing in various open rooms. I'm in a sunny
part of San Francisco, where humidity drops quite a bit in the
afternoon. Also we're having our first cold spell, so my forced air
heat is kicking in. So far my nepenthes are fine, but maybe I'll
see some casualties in a few days...

What I have: N. x rokko and x hookeriana by sunny windows, no
humidifier but misting once or twice a day. Also in a room
within 3 feet of an ultrasonic humidifier: x coccinea, ventricosa,
x mixta, hirsuta, khasiana, eymae, x superba, gracillis, truncata.
(These are probably the typical windowsill nepenthes...)
The humidifier turns on only 2-3 times a day in the afternoon,
for half-hour periods.

The gracillis and truncata seem to take a lot of abuse and will
probably do well without the humidifier. I also used to have
bicalcurata and longifolia in the same setup, but have moved
them to a tank.

I'm actually having a bit of trouble with the ventricosa,
surprisingly. All the other plants seem happy. I'm curious to
hear what other nepenthes y'all have grown successfully
without tanks or greenhouses.

Bill