TC store hybrids

From: FOODBAG@aol.com
Date: Sat Nov 11 2000 - 09:47:04 PST

Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 12:47:04 EST
From: FOODBAG@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: TC store hybrids

  Hi All,

  A local nursery(Finke Gardens, not a chain) which has a lovely greenhouse,
apparantly gets Nepenthes every fall, though this is the first time I have
seen them. One cool thing is that even though they have had them since August
and sold most of them, they still had eight or so and they looked reasonable
for being in a local retailer for that long. They were $10.99 and pretty
decent sized(up to 18" in diameter). the most interesting thing, was I saw at
least five variants in the ones I saw. A couple looked like the Gubler's
maxima x alata crosses, but I bought one that looked like the spitting image
of N.x morganiana from "Savage Garden." One looked like it had albomarginata
in it. There were obvious ventricosa hybrids, some with very large, floppy
lids(larger than the pitcher opening). Unfortunately, they were not named
and they bought them through a broker in Florida that gets exotics from
multiple sources so whether they came from Agri-Starts are wherever, I can't
tell you. It was really nice to see that kind of display here in Nebraska.
  Regards,

  Joe Griffin
  Lincoln, Nebraska
  USA