Re: germinating Austalian drosera

From: Dave Evans (dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 15:04:32 PST

Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 18:04:32 -0500
From: "Dave Evans" <dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: germinating Austalian drosera

Dear David,

> This is probably a tired subject but I would appreciate comments and
> information on how to germinate pygmy and tuberous Drosera. I have placed
> seed on top of the mix (1/4 peat, 3/4 sand, and a dash of Georgia red
clay)
> and placed the pots about 2 inches from flourescent lights.

    Sounds good, keep in mind they are winter growers, and want less than 12
hr. light/day.

> Daytime temps
> are in the 70's and 80's F and nighttime temps are probably in the 50's.
> They are in a screened patio that is partially open to the night air. I
> could move them outside and let them experience Atlanta's chillier nights
> that are soon to come (i.e., 40's F.) I've occassionally sprayed them
with
> water that contains a smoke filter.

    This also sound very good! I haven't tried any smoke/water techinic,
but it is good that you are keeping them a bit cooler than room temperature

> Seed, which are about 2 years old, have
> been planted for about 3 weeks but no germination yet. I was thinking
about
> giving them a near freezing stratification period in the refrigerator
since
> consistent near freezing weather in Atlanta is still several months away.

    Oddly, these guys, it has been reported, need a warm/hot stratification.
The seed germinates in the fall with the onset of the cool, wet season. It
might take another year for your seed to come up. I sowed a pot of D.
stolonifera three years ago. Each fall some more of the seed germinates.
This year only one has come up. It was the second fall which showed the
highest rate of germination.

Dave Evans
New Jersey