Re: germinating Austalian drosera

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 01:38:18 PST

Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 09:38:18 +0000
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: germinating Austalian drosera

David,

>This is probably a tired subject but I would appreciate comments and
>information on how to germinate pygmy and tuberous Drosera. I have placed
>seed on top of the mix (1/4 peat, 3/4 sand, and a dash of Georgia red clay)
>and placed the pots about 2 inches from flourescent lights. Daytime temps
>are in the 70's and 80's F and nighttime temps are probably in the 50's.
>They are in a screened patio that is partially open to the night air. I
>could move them outside and let them experience Atlanta's chillier nights
>that are soon to come (i.e., 40's F.) I've occassionally sprayed them with
>water that contains a smoke filter. Seed, which are about 2 years old, have
>been planted for about 3 weeks but no germination yet. I was thinking about
>giving them a near freezing stratification period in the refrigerator since
>consistent near freezing weather in Atlanta is still several months away.

Your seeds are probably getting too warm to germinate at the moment.
Moving them to the cooler conditions would certainly help. In my
experience the winter growing Drosera species will not germinate until
the cooler weather arrives.

Be warned though that germination can take an incredibly long time. I
have sown seed that has not germinated for over twelve months! I think
Allen Lowrie is of the opinion that the seeds contain chemical
inhibitors that needs to be washed away before the seeds are able to
germinate. In habitat this is achieved by the frequent winter rains in
Western Australia. In cultivation much the same effect can be achieved
using a misting system - fine if you have one of course...

I have also used giberellic acid once with very good results. This is no
use of course since you have already sown your seeds. You could use
another Lowrie trick - smoking the seeds using a kettle type barbecue.
In brief, you place the pots inside the barbecue, then light some
grasses or similar leaving them to smoke. Once they are smouldering you
close the barbecue lid leaving the smoke to infuse into the pots.
Obviously you don't want too much fuel for the smoke else you will end
up with a mess of molten plastic pots. The pots are left in the barbecue
overnight then removed. The most important thing then is to water the
pots well overhead. The chemicals in the smoke are water soluble and
need to be washed down into the soil to reach the seeds.

Regards,
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk
Web Site: www.pwilson.demon.co.uk