germinating Austalian drosera

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 12:40:33 PST

Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 15:40:33 -0500
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: germinating Austalian drosera

This is probably a tired subject but I would appreciate comments and
information on how to germinate pygmy and tuberous Drosera. I have placed
seed on top of the mix (1/4 peat, 3/4 sand, and a dash of Georgia red clay)
and placed the pots about 2 inches from flourescent lights. Daytime temps
are in the 70's and 80's F and nighttime temps are probably in the 50's.
They are in a screened patio that is partially open to the night air. I
could move them outside and let them experience Atlanta's chillier nights
that are soon to come (i.e., 40's F.) I've occassionally sprayed them with
water that contains a smoke filter. Seed, which are about 2 years old, have
been planted for about 3 weeks but no germination yet. I was thinking about
giving them a near freezing stratification period in the refrigerator since
consistent near freezing weather in Atlanta is still several months away.

Any and all advice will be appreicated.

Thanks,
David
Atlanta