Growing Pygmy drosera indoor? (dormancy)

From: Christer Berglund (christer.berglund@privat.utfors.se)
Date: Sun Oct 29 2000 - 11:37:31 PST

Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 20:37:31 +0100
From: Christer Berglund <christer.berglund@privat.utfors.se>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Growing Pygmy drosera indoor? (dormancy)

Hi,

I'd be interested to know how other indoor growers, in the northern
hemisphere, cultivate their pygmy drosera, this time of year. I got some
gemmae last spring (thanks Nigel) and most of the plants has grown
vigorously all summer on the windowsill, but with the shorter photo
period they don't look as healthy anymore (less glue on the tentacles).
Time for dormancy? I have often seen people selling/trading gemmae
around this time of year until early spring, but since gemmae production
signals the beginning of the growing season, wouldn't my plants be out
of sync if they would go dormant now? Does it take more than one growing
season before first year plants synchronizes their biological clocks to
the right time?

It is my intention to move them into a terrarium under artificial light
during the winter, either to let them be dormant there or allow them to
stay in active growth until next year, whatever they choose. Does anyone
have experience with pygmy drosera enclosed and under artificial light?

Regards,

--
Christer Berglund
E-mail: christer.berglund@privat.utfors.se