Re: Growing Pygmy drosera indoor? (dormancy)

From: John Green (john.green@ascensus.com)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 08:47:32 PST

Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 09:47:32 -0700
From: John Green <john.green@ascensus.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Growing Pygmy drosera indoor? (dormancy)

Christer Berglund (christer.berglund@privat.utfors.se) wrote:

>I'd be interested to know how other indoor growers, in the
>northern hemisphere, cultivate their pygmy drosera, this time
>of year... most of the plants has grown vigorously all summer
>on the windowsill, but with the shorter photo period they
>don't look as healthy anymore (less glue on the tentacles).
>Time for dormancy? I have often seen people selling/trading
>gemmae around this time of year until early spring, but since
>gemmae production signals the beginning of the growing season,
>wouldn't my plants be out of sync if they would go dormant now?

I find that my pygmies usually go dormant in the fall and then resume
growing by Christmas time, producing gemmae in late December or January. I
just grow them right alongside my Sarrs and other plants so they pretty much
enjoy the same conditions. Currently they're all growing under flourescent
lights in the coldest spot I could find in the house, but I've grown them on
a cold windowsill, too. The shortening photo period and cooler temperatures
must trigger the brief dormancy and gemmae production. I've never worried
about forcing a dry summer dormancy because everything I've read says they
can be grown pretty much without it, but they certainly appear to be dying
when they go dormant. I've never grown them in a terrarium, and personally
wouldn't recommend it, but you could try some spare gemmae in one and see
how they do.

John Green
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

"98% of the adults in this country are decent, hard-working, honest
Americans. It's the other lousy 2% that get all the publicity. But then -
we elected them." -- Lily Tomlin