Re: Growing Pygmy drosera indoor? (dormancy)

From: Chris Teichreb (cteichreb@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 08:21:51 PST

Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 08:21:51 PST
From: "Chris Teichreb" <cteichreb@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Growing Pygmy drosera indoor? (dormancy)

Hi all,

> > I've never grown them in a terrarium, and personally
> > wouldn't recommend it, but you could try some spare gemmae in one and
>see
> > how they do.
>
> It has been my experience that they get weak and eventually rot
>
>Dave Evans

   I have to partially disagree. For several years, I grew my
pygmies outside in the summer and then brought them indoors and
put them in a terrarium under growlights for the winter. I did
make sure to keep lots of air circulating and avoided letting
them sit in water. One thing I can recommend is not leaving them
outside during freezes. I did that last year, and am now in the process of
re-ordering from Kamil Pasek!

   I think they definitely need to be outdoors for part of the
year though, both to encourage growth and gemmae production. And
they can definitely take the heat!

Happy growing,

Chris