Adrian Slack's 'Carnivorous Plants'

From: Jason Ashley (jasona@warwick.net)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2000 - 03:30:20 PDT

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 06:30:20 -0400
From: "Jason Ashley" <jasona@warwick.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Adrian Slack's 'Carnivorous Plants'

Got mine from Amazon last week and WOW!

It is beautiful, has BIG pictures, is delightfully written (if not as
colorful as Peter's book), has extensive cultivation information, and if you
don't have it by all means get it. Adrian may not have been right about
everything but then it reminds me of a wonderful Saturday Night Live skit,
"Theodoric: Barber of York":

woman: Theodoric Barber of York?
Theo: Why yes!
woman: You must help this man. He has terrible stomach pain. Could he be
possesed by demons?
Theo: (laughs) Ho-ho-ho. Of course not! We have advanced far in science to
know that there is no such thing as demonic possesion!
woman: This is good news!
Theo: These days we now know that such pain is caused by a small tree or
dwarf growing in his stomach. We must operate at once!

Many special thanks to Joe Mazrimas. Adrian cites him as a source of
invaluable information on Heliamphora and I find it such a joy to see those
on this list help produce fine books as Adrian's and Peter's. This is still
a small community and Adrian's work was seminal in promoting the popularity
these plants now enjoy. I own a small D. slackii (really stunning in full
sun) and it makes me very happy just to know it was named him. I think it's
a fine tribute.

Adrian, if you're out there or you get word about this list, my wholehearted
thanks for such a great book.

Jason Ashley
Warwick, NY
USA