Re: Sarracenia psittacina

From: Susan Farrington (sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2000 - 05:17:38 PDT

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 07:17:38 -0500
From: "Susan Farrington" <sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia psittacina

Dave,
I've had both good and bad luck with S. psittacina... we have one big
old monarch plant in our bog here at the garden (inside a cool
conservatory, so winter temps don't go below 42 F). I've added
several psits to the bog, only to watch them do well for a while, then
die during the summer. I suspect they didn't stay moist enough (slightly
higher in the bog). At home, I killed my first psitt (again, probably too
dry in too much heat and sun). This past summer, I had very good
luck with a young psitt that I had in a five inch pot... I set it directly IN
my little pond next to my bog, the water level generally coming right
up to the edge of the pot. (The water is rain water only, acidified with
peat moss). It was in a lot of sun, but shaded somewhat by
surrounding vegetation. The little psitt THRIVED in the pond, and
looks ready to divide next spring. I've since taken it out of the pond,
and it is spending the winter in my cool greenhouse.

> Dear John,
>
> I think this is due to poor conditions. My S. psittacina almost
> never
> produce pollen or viable seed either. I think this is due to *my*
> poor conditions. This species has a very southern range and it
> doesn't seem to like as far north as we are. Perhaps it needs to be
> grown in a cold frame for complete success. I have not tried this.
> Anyone out there having good luck with this one, out of it's natural
> range?
>
> Dave Evans
> New Jersey

Susan Farrington