Re: Sarracenia psittacina seed

From: Chris Teichreb (cteichreb@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 08:09:59 PDT

Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 08:09:59 PDT
From: "Chris Teichreb" <cteichreb@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia psittacina seed

Hi John,

>Dear all,
>I've just been going thru my greenhouse and sorting thru this season's
>batch
>of sarracenia seed.
>However, yet again, my S.psittacinas haven't come up with the goods. >Does

   Did you self-pollinate your psittacina? If so, then that could
be the problem. Most Sarr species, when self-pollinated, produce
few or no seeds, in my experience. If that's not the case, then
it could be that the ovary wasn't ready at the time of pollination
(I'm presuming you did it by hand), or that you harvested the
seed pod too early (before it was completely brown and dessicated).

Hope that helps!

Chris

--
Chris Teichreb