Re: Evaporative cooling vs air conditioning

From: Chris Teichreb (cteichreb@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 08:06:04 PDT

Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 08:06:04 PDT
From: "Chris Teichreb" <cteichreb@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Evaporative cooling vs air conditioning

Hi Ron,

>Here's another greenhouse question. Which is better if you are going to
>grow Nepenthes in a greenhouse, evaporative coolers or air conditioners? I
>understand evaporative coolers will cool a greenhouse down 10 to 15 degrees
>from the outside temperature. The 'Savage Garden' mentions a few cases
>where Nepenthes were grown with great success with greenhouses equipped
>with
>air conditioners.
>
>Ron

   While both will do a good job of cooling down a greenhouse,
evaporative coolers have the advantage that they also increase
the humidity, a bonus for Nepenthes. Plus, if I remember correctly,
evaporative coolers are cheaper than air conditioners (you can build
a swamp cooler yourself).

Chris

--
Chris Teichreb