Re: vft help (again)

From: Philip Semanchuk (mrbones@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 17:39:27 PDT

Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 20:39:27 -0400
From: "Philip Semanchuk" <mrbones@mindspring.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: vft help (again)

>I wrote a couple of weeks ago and recieved one response so I'll try again.
My
>outdoor bog with several different species (pitchers, sundews, and vft's)
is doing
>great but my vfts have a problem. I had three close together, on a mounded
up
>area. One has had all traps turn black and die. The other two looked ok
but now
>one of them is doing the same thing. I tried letting the bog dry out a
good deal,
>didn't help. Any suggestions? I just hate to see them dying. Help!!

Jim,
Did the whole VFT die, or just the traps? All traps on a VFT eventually die,
they just don't do it all at once. They turn black and look awful but this
is OK for the plant.

If the whole plant died then obviously there's something wrong but it is
hard for me to guess what. Since you mentioned letting the bog dry out, I
guess you suspect a fungal problem. I would, too, from the description you
gave, so if you are into chemicals maybe it is time you tried some toxins
for your fungi. The topic of which are safe to use on VFTs has been
discussed at length -- check the archives.

As a last ditch effort (for instance if two of the three plants die) you
might want to dig up the third. After all it looks doomed anyway, what harm
can you do to it? Maybe you'll find that something is attacking the roots,
or the plants managed to get root rot (as unlikely as that is).

Also, tell us where you live. If you are in the Sahara Desert that might
explain the prolbem. ;)

Good luck
Philip
URL du jour: http://www.votenader.com/