Nepenthes bicalcarata

From: Steven Stewart (steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 10:50:27 PDT

Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 13:50:27 -0400
From: "Steven Stewart" <steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes bicalcarata

Hello,
Steven Stewart here,
Just for the record, the Nepenthes bicalcarata I am growing are in full
flower!! There are 11 pistillate (female) and 10 staminate (male) plants. I
am very pleased, since I was expecting many more male than female. Only two
of the female plants have three flowers on the lowest branch of the panicle,
all of the rest have between five and nine. The ones with the fewest flowers
were water stressed (dried out) at least once during inflorescence
formation. The remarkable feature is the four-branched umbel on the female
flowers. This feature is very much reminisent of the "umbrella" found in
Sarracenia flowers. I believe this feature is definitely worth mentioning in
any taxonomic work done on Nepenthes. Does anyone know of other Nepenthes
species that show this type of feature so clearly ? Having so many large
flowers to pollinate has also enabled me to notice that very few are three
or five parted. All of them stink.
Take care,
Steven Stewart,
Sanford, Fl. USA