Re: Live-Spahgnum

From: Doug Burdic (dburdic@harborside.com)
Date: Thu Aug 03 2000 - 13:23:33 PDT

Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 13:23:33 -0700
From: "Doug Burdic" <dburdic@harborside.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Live-Spahgnum

Hi,

<MCliff428@aol.com wrote:>

> I see that some plants like Darlingtonia call for a soil recipe with
only
> live sphagnum. This makes sense, but should I put the plant in store
bought
> dead long fiber sphagnum and the live stuff on top? Can collected
dead
> long fiber sphagnum be used from a bog (the stuff beneath the live
tips)?
> Thank you.

-The most important cultural element in growing Darlingtonia is that
 their root zone stays fairly "cool". Two miles from here they grow
 in a sandy-silt muck...30 miles away from here they grow in pure
 live Sphagnum...250 miles from here they grow in this 'Gumbo
 Clay' on a Serpentine mountain. One of the major characteristics
 these natural substrates have in common, is that they are all provided
 with a fresh oxygen supply to the roots in a cool root zone
environment.

 I've grown Darlingtonia in just about everything, but a 1:1 peat moss
 (granulated) : horticultural grade perlite seems to work best. If
 you're going to use pure sphagnum moss and aren't going to be
 able to provide a frequent flushing with cool water through the
 root zone, I'd add some perlite to the Sphagnum & mix it up
 well prior to planting. This will provide porosity not only for
 oxygenation in the root zone, but will also help prevent the old
 Sphagnum from becoming too compacted which results in
 anaerobic conditions that lead to other problems you don't want
 to deal with. A final note on raising Darlingtonia; If you are
 growing them in an extremely warm environment, keep the
 humidity high by frequent misting. This will help compensate
 for the warm soil temperatures as least temporarily. All this
 IMHO of course..-

 Good luck and good growing,

 Doug

 Doug Burdic