Re: Bare Root Plants

From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
Date: Thu Aug 03 2000 - 14:49:03 PDT

Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 17:49:03 EDT
From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Bare Root Plants

Hey folks, Peter here at California Carnivores: I wish to amend what I
mentioned yesterday about being dubious of "anyone" who sells bare root
plants. I was, of course, speaking about the rogue individual and
"wholesaler" who may have stolen plants from wild populations. Dean Cook
pointed out to me in a friendly manner that fine nurseries such as his only
sell commercially cultivated plants, even if they are bare root. He is or
will be posting photographs of his facilities on his popular website so
customers can be comforted by the knowledge that he is conservationist in
belief, a wise thing. Bare root shipping is what most nurseries do, because
of the extreme cost of shipping potted, established plants, but as others
have pointed out on this chat line, risk is also a factor in bare-rooting,
especially when during the growing season. The customer does pay a bit more
for potted plants, such as through my own nursery. A good way, I think, to
make sure your buying from honest sources is to check out the web ring at the
Society's site carnivorousplants.org. Barry and others try their best to
screen dubious sources. Dean Cook mentioned he has had the same experience as
I have, getting calls from cryptic sources offering bare root plants for
sale, who never respond when asked to provide proof of their source.
    Th-th-th-that's all for now, folks.