re: Devil's Claw

From: Ivan Snyder (bioexp@juno.com)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 08:40:21 PDT

Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 08:40:21 -0700
From: Ivan Snyder <bioexp@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: Devil's Claw

Hi Greg and all,

>I realise that these Genus(Ibicella and Proboscidea) are questionable
>carnivors but I had a I. lutea last year, It may not have eaten anything
but
>it did catch a few insects. I'd like to grow other species to experiment

>with. I vaguely remember some discussion about a supplier of seed a few
>months ago. Can someone point me in the right direction please?

I wrote the thread on Devil's Claws you are refering to. Here is that
supplier info again:
Native Seeds/SEARCH in Tuscon Arizona USA
http://www.azstarnet.com/~nss/

I ordered seed of Paiute --Proboscidea parviflora var. hohokamiana. This
year I planted the seed directly in the soil of my outdoor vegetable
garden. The seed of this one sprouted in two weeks or less, other kinds I
have tried required GA3 Giberelic Acid to germinate. The plants grow fine
here in Southern California, but I have had trouble with the neighbor's
cats chewing the leaves ( they seem to like the plant's odor ) and also
caterpillars. While I was at the CP World Conference in San Francisco,
one vendor was selling different species and hybrids I had not seen
available before. Also I visited California Carnivors Nursery and saw
some other fine hybrid Devil's Claws. There must be other sources for
seed of these that I am unaware of. In Australia these plants are
considered noxious weeds, so they may not be sold to you legally. Be sure
to check on this first. In New South Wales, P. louisianica and Ibecella
lutea have become established as troublesome weeds on cattle rangeland.
The claws are responsible for cattle mutilations.

Ivan Snyder
Hermosa Beach
California

http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagh.