re: Petiolaris Complex

From: Ivan Snyder (bioexp@juno.com)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 10:43:54 PDT

Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 10:43:54 -0700
From: Ivan Snyder <bioexp@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: Petiolaris Complex

>I have been growing a number of Drosera Petiolaris
>complex plants for a number of years in the same 60
>gallon fish tank with two fluorescent fixtures on top.
>In my opinion, I wouldn't even waste my time putting
>on the screen. Just put the lights on top with no
>glass or screen. My Petiolaris are growing like weeds
>and I grow everything from seed. I have no problem
>growing these plants in that environment with
>excellent results. The Petiolaris King!!!

Hey Sean and all,
Glad to see you are finally with us here on CP Digest Sean. Your
petiolaris hybrid known as The Ladel is especially nice. Is it Drosera
falconeri X paradoxa? The leaves are broad with a deep spooning, hence
the name. The plants form a fine dome shape of semi-erect leaves of good
color. This sundew certainly deserves an official cutivar naming. Get
that thing out to other growers to see how it does in growing trials.
What I like most about this group of sundews is that the leaves when
capturing insects often fold in the center to close like the traps of
Dionaea. Some people feel that D. falconeri is representative of a
missing link between sundew and Venus' Flytrap.
Ivan Snyder
Hermosa Beach
California