Re: Outdoor bogs

From: John Green (john.green@ascensus.com)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 07:38:26 PDT

Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 08:38:26 -0600
From: John Green <john.green@ascensus.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Outdoor bogs

>This is my first year with a small outdoor bog, Sarracenia and VFTs in Zone
7.
>Any information about your (or anyone else's) bog would be appreciated.

Hi Wayne,

I have a small website with information about constructing an outdoor bog at
http://homestead.juno.com/thegreens13/files/index.htm. Unfortunately, I
still need to develop some film and scan some pictures, but I have a few
photos and all the text in place. I've tried to include my observations and
reasons for doing what I did, along with some mistakes I made. I grow
Sarrs, some Drosera, and VFTs in the bog. I've also included some U. livida
but it doesn't seem to be doing much. I'd also recommend looking at Michael
Catalani's outdoor bog website, as it has a lot of good information for
doing a big outdoor bog. His site is http://www.catalani.com/bog.htm.

I'm in Salt Lake City, Utah, (zone 5a, I think) which is far from natural cp
habitat, so I had to keep a few things in mind which may or may not apply to
your situation. Here it's very hot and dry in the summer and cold and snowy
in the winter. I've positioned my bog against the south side of my house to
get lots of sun, which also helps keep it warmer in the winter here. It's
under a rain gutter downspout to take advantage of infrequent rains. I also
have to deal with very low humidity (into the low teens during the summer)
but with the lawn and garden increasing the local humidity they seem to do
well enough. I'd be happy to help with any other questions you might have.

John Green
Salt Lake City, Utah