Re: Sarr. Pruning

From: Brett Lymn (blymn@baesystems.com.au)
Date: Sun Jul 09 2000 - 03:43:13 PDT

Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 20:13:13 +0930 (CST)
From: blymn@baesystems.com.au (Brett Lymn)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarr. Pruning

According to Kit Halsted:

>What's a safe percentage to cut off? If I have 4 pitchers, all
>deformed, should I cut all of them off?

It really depend how many pitchers you have - those 4 make up a
significant part of the plant's photosynthesising surfaces then
cutting them off is going to be a big set back for the plant. Leaving
them on cannot hurt as long as the leaves (let's not forget that is
what they are :-) are healthy.

>Should one cut off damaged pitchers as well?

Unless they are so badly damaged that they are no use to the plant I
would just leave them.

>Should it be done when they turn brown at the top? When they're no
>longer capable of trapping insects?

I trim off the brown bits as the pitcher dies off, I may be wrong but
I think that the plant can recover nutrients/other stuff from the leaf
as it dies back.