Sarr. Pruning

From: Kit Halsted (kit@kithalsted.com)
Date: Sat Jul 08 2000 - 11:23:03 PDT

Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 14:23:03 -0400
From: Kit Halsted <kit@kithalsted.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sarr. Pruning

In answer to one of my earlier questions about Sarracenia, Michael
Pagoulatos suggested cutting off the deformed pitchers. This is
something I've been wondering about for a while.

Is there consensus on this? Is it generally accepted to be a good
idea, or is it like VFTs where green tissue should be left alone?

What's a safe percentage to cut off? If I have 4 pitchers, all
deformed, should I cut all of them off?

Should one cut off damaged pitchers as well?

Should it be done when they turn brown at the top? When they're no
longer capable of trapping insects?

Thanks,
-Kit