Re: Sarracenia Questions

From: Dave Evans (dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2000 - 01:05:40 PDT

Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 04:05:40 -0400
From: "Dave Evans" <dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia Questions

Dear Kit,

    I'm not sure what the fuzzy stuff is, but try using soapy swab on the
affected (dish soap with work fine). Just don't get the soap in the
pitchers. The brown spots do look like insect damage. Aphids love to suck
on the new leaves as they grow because they are so soft. I imagine there
are a host of other bugs that will take advantage of this as well.

> Is it normal for S. leucophylla to still have phyllodia, but no
> pitchers at this time of year? (I'm in Brooklyn, New York, USDA Zone
> 7. We had an unusually cool Spring here, but Summer's getting into
> full swing, finally.)

    Yes. My _S. luecophylla_ are also producing phyllodia now. I'm in the
southern part of north Jersey, Union County, so we will have the exact same
hours of day light through the year. I am not sure, but I think we might be
able to get them to produce slightly fewer phyllodia and more pitchers by
keeping the plants' soil very wet, but that isn't what I have done so far
this year. Only this weekend did I notice how dry my bogs are (thanks Lisa)
so I think I may have well convinced my lueco's that there is indeed a
drought on. I will be keeping them very wet the rest of summer, so perhaps
they will come out of hiatus earlier this year.

Dave Evans