Sarracenia Questions

From: Kit Halsted (kit@kithalsted.com)
Date: Wed Jun 28 2000 - 23:48:58 PDT

Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 02:48:58 -0400
From: Kit Halsted <kit@kithalsted.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sarracenia Questions

Questions for people who know their Sarracenia:

Is it normal for S. leucophylla to still have phyllodia, but no
pitchers at this time of year? (I'm in Brooklyn, New York, USDA Zone
7. We had an unusually cool Spring here, but Summer's getting into
full swing, finally.)

What would be a likely cause for S. flava pitchers to come up
malformed and/or never fully develop? One of the pitchers has some
fuzzy stuff at the top, but I don't see any mealybugs on it. I've got
apicture up at <http://www.kithalsted.com/~kit/cp/MedFlava.jpg>. This
pitcher stopped growing at this stage & has been like this for over a
month. There are 2 more pitchers coming up, but 1 seems to have
stopped growing at an earlier stage of development & the other is
malformed.

Thanks,
-Kit