Nep. potting medium

From: Paul Edwards (edwards@net2000.com.au)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 16:58:13 PDT

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 09:58:13 +1000
From: "Paul Edwards" <edwards@net2000.com.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nep. potting medium

Hello all.

I read with interest in the latest ICPS bulletin about growing Neps in
non-organic medium. These ingredients aren't available in Aust (or if they
are, are
called something else that I don't know).
Has anyone had success in growing Neps in other medium, say pure
vermiculate?
My current mix is 50/50 fine orchid mix/peat moss, with a bit of sphagnum
thrown in for good measure, however I'm plagued by algae growing on the
surface of the mix, and it turns into a horrible slimy mess. Does anyone
have any suggestions?

Paul Edwards
edwards@net2000.com.au