More on U.welwitschii +firmula

From: loyd.wix@talk21.com
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 14:07:45 PDT

Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 22:07:45 BST
From: loyd.wix@talk21.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: More on U.welwitschii +firmula

Dear Fernando and other Utric fans,

>That's right, you told me that you'd >identified it as U.welwitschii
>and I forgot >about it! It does truly seem to be this >species and in
>hindsight I can't remember what >it was that led me to think it was
>U.firmula >instead.

Well one of the benefits of growing the things in a greenhouse is you
can study them at your leisure with few other distractions. Though it
was after receiving another plant labelled as U.welwitschii from
Madagascar via Eric Green (that Rob had IDed) that caused me to look
closer at both your Pretorian plant and the Madagascan plant. I came to
the conclusion that the Pretorian plant is U.welwitschii, whilst the
Madagascan plant is U.microcalyx. Both are attractive little plants.

>Anyways, there was a smaller yellow-flowered >species growing near it
>which i identified at >the time as U.bisquamata, but which may
>>actually be the true U.firmula now that I >think about it. Robert
>Gibson went to the same >site afterwards but I can't remember what his
>>conclusions were. We'll have to ask him once >the ICPS conference is
>over.

Yes it would be good to know if the yellow plant was the true U.firmula.
Unfortunately I was not successful in germinating this particular plant.
If it was U.bisquamata I would have expected germination to be easy and
rapid. Allen Lowrie had this seed on his list for a while. Did anyone
out there manage to germinate this plant and most importantly anyone
seen the flower?

>The color is truly unique and adding to the >fact that it seems
>easy to cultivate, I'd say it may yet turn out >to be a big hit among Utric
>fans.

I do have some images of U.welwitschii and microcalyx that Bill Sherren
kindly scanned for me. I remember recently a call for CP flower images
for the picture gallery. Unfortunately I have deleted the digest with
the instructions, so if the custodian of the gallery could contact me I
will sort out the images. I guess it would be nice for other interested
parties to see what it is we are talking about.

Cheers

Loyd

-------------------- talk21 your FREE portable and private address on
the net at http://www.talk21.com