Drosera burmanii seed hardiness

From: Nicholas Plummer (nplummer@duke.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 05:01:18 PDT

Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 08:01:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: Nicholas Plummer <nplummer@duke.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Drosera burmanii seed hardiness

I currently have some Drosera burmanii growing in my Sarracenia tubs
outside. They were languishing under fluorescent lights but have really
started growing well in full sun, and they now have numerous
inflorescences. Questions: Will I need to hand pollinate the flowers,
or will gnats outdoors be likely to handle it for me. How hardy are
seeds of D. burmanii? Will I be likely to get volunteer seedlings next
spring if the seed is outdoors all winter, or should I try to harvest
seed and store it indoors?

I'm in Durham, North Carolina. USDA Zone 7. We average about 1 snowfall
a year, and some winter nights can dip below 20F.

Nick
Nicholas Plummer
nplummer@duke.edu
http://www.duke.edu/~nplummer/