SAND

From: z_simkunasra@TITAN.SFASU.EDU
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 13:12:57 PDT

Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 15:12:57 -0500 (CDT)
From: z_simkunasra@TITAN.SFASU.EDU
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: SAND

I am the greatest carnivorous plant horticulturalist in the world!!!!!!

Well... not really, but getting there. I have a Q about sand. I
remember reading about soil media for CPs either here, on the ICPS FAQ, or
from a CP book about sand. It was suggested to use play sand, because it
is washed and free of harmful minerals and salts which are often found in
river and beach sand. Then a couple days ago I learn that the play sand I
had bought and been growing my CPs in for a year now is made of SILICA and
LIME. My first thought was, "Oh STUFF!" I was wondering why it was
such a pretty white color. So I broke out the good ol ph tester and
tested the sand. ph = 7.4 - 7.6 Then I tested a 1 part peat/play sand
mix, which is the same soil mix my Cephalotus and pygmea Drosera are in.
It tested aroung 6.0

Last summer I lost a bunch of pygmea species and two Cephalotus. However,
I have three Cephalotus thriving in this mix. They went from seed to 3/4"
pitchers in one year. One unknown species of pygmea Ds is spreading like
a virus. Their soil composite is on the acid side, but I am curious if
alkaline components in a soil mix will hurt CPs even if the mix is acidic?

Robertivore