Plant conservation and collection from habitats

From: Davidogray@aol.com
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 09:30:15 PDT

Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 12:30:15 EDT
From: Davidogray@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Plant conservation and collection from habitats

Hello again list readers,
I've been gone for a week and after catching up on the digests, I must say
bravo to all those who have read and responded to the questions raised about
collection and sale of plants from wild habitats.
You may recall that my original post was prompted by the appearance of large
apparently field-grown plants at a mass retailer. I believe we all have the
same questions when we see plants that may have come from native habitats --
Are these legitimate plants that I can buy without contributing to
habitat/population destruction?
In the interests of moving this discussion forward, I have culled a few
questions for further examination:

1. Have any CP groups tried to stop habitat destruction directly?

2. Which societies besides the BACPS ( in the San Francisco Bay Area of
California ) have defined what is/is not acceptable for sale at CP society
events?

3. Have any groups developed guidelines on the collection of seed from
wild populations of CP, especially populations perceived as threatened?

4. What other plant groups ( I know of two native plant societies ) have
guidelines for removing plants from habitat as a means to preserve plants
slated for destruction?

5. What are the obstacles to establishing a database of CP species
currently in cultivation? Wouldn't this be an efficient way to see
which species are "safely" established in cultivation and thereby
understand which need intensive propagation and distribution?

With the input of some energy I can imagine this group actually changing the
situation for the better in addition to developing guidelines...
Cheers,
David O. Gray
in San Francisco