animals

From: Sylvia De Rooy (red1@humboldt1.com)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2000 - 08:01:27 PST

Date: Fri, 24 Mar 00 09:01:27 -0700
From: Sylvia De Rooy <red1@humboldt1.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: animals

I joined this list believing that by doing so I would be in the company
of people who are sensitive to the natural world, who are aware of the
destruction that we have done and are doing to our resources and who are
aware of the value of all of these resources. Silly me. It would seem
that all many of you care about is what's in your backyard, your plants
are all that matter, as though those plants exist in a vacuum unaffected
by the larger world. Many, probably most, of you would be screaming holy
murder if I went to a natural bog and ripped up cp's by the gazillions.
But you would seem not to see the contradiction when you advocate the
killing of animals or the spraying of poisons.
Mr Pagoulatos' "wise use", property rights uber alles view would seem to
be closer to the common view on this list than anything. Very sad because
his views are nothing short of ignorant and ugly. His saying, "I do
espouse the view that animals have no rights whatsoever" is, if nothing
else, a view that is utterly ignorant of the complexity of
interdependency of all the beings on this earth. I don't know how many
people are on this list but, off list posting or no, the hue and cry
about his post should choke this list for the next week at least.But it's
my guess that, even among those of you who may sense that his post is
unacceptable, there will be little response.
Is there anyone on this list who understands that the decreasing habitat
for cp's is because of the thinking of the Pagoulatos of this world?