Mr. Wu's debut message

From: Howard J. Wu L.Ac (mrwu@cello.qnet.com)
Date: Sun Jan 02 2000 - 20:19:26 PST

Date:          Mon, 3 Jan 2000 4:19:26 +0000
From: <mrwu@cello.qnet.com> (Howard J. Wu  L.Ac)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Mr. Wu's debut message

Hello. My name is Howard Wu. I live the eastern sierras and I have been
raising CP's for almost three years now. My tap water is superb. (I get
to piss far upstream from Los Angeles.) But my climate is very dry so I
grow my plants indoors under glass.
   How I got interested in CP's: My principle hobby was raising
killifish. I live in a remote rural community so it was hard to buy
aquarium plants locally. I mostly acquired mine from hobbiest through
the mail. Many years ago I had an aquatic bladderwort sent to me from
the Dixieland Killifish Association. I wanted to again find this plant.
    Through the interet I discovered the utricularia webpage of Barry
Rice-Meyer's as he was moving from Arizona. Here I learned that
bladderworts weren't just aquatics. About three years ago Tom Johnson
from the Los Angeles CPS offered me a dozen utricularia of various
types. ( Thanks Tom.) These included many terrestials and epiphytes. I
begun to grow these under the lights on top of my aquariums. Included
was a weed sundew rosette and VFT. From her my collection has expanded
into other CP's, but I remain foremost an utriciphile.
    I will admit that sundews are nice for lapping up those escaped
wingless fruitflys I feed my fish. I have a few pitchers seedlings,
pings and nepenthes just to round out my collection, but space limits my
interest in these.
    Also before my CP days, in my Encyclopedia of Aquatic Plants I have
read about Aldrovanda. I thus began a quest to obtain this unusual
plant. I have since learned very much about water ecology while have
only marginally being able to keep these plants alive in my collection.
But they continues to be of great interest to me. For me they are 'my
rose' as in "The Little Prince". I hope to someday fully master their
cultivation.
    Last, I'm an acupuncturist/herbalist by profession, so I have some
academic intested in the historic medical uses of CP's and their
enzymology.
Howard J. Wu
Bishop Ca.
mrwu@qnet.com