network of moss on soil surface

From: dick c tran (dick_tran@mailcity.com)
Date: Mon Jan 03 2000 - 08:46:59 PST

Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2000 08:46:59 -0800
From: "dick c tran" <dick_tran@mailcity.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: network of moss on soil surface

does anyone have a problem with very fine moss that grows on top of
their soil with plants grown under lights?

I found out this weekend as i was fiddling with my cephs and discovered
a huge growth crown underneath this layer of bind-soil trying to push
its way through to the surface in one of my plants.

this moss forms a matrix which binds the soil surface together which
inhibits plants that produces side-shoots from getting through except
towards the sides of the pot. at times, it is so meshed together, that
i can insert a pair of tweezers into the top 1/4 inch of the soil and
lift it off. so far, the only thing i can do is to replace the top
layer of soil very carefully when i see this happen.

LYCOShop is now open. On your mark, get set, SHOP!!!
http://shop.lycos.com/