Fire Ants

From: MCATALANI@aol.com
Date: Sun Jan 02 2000 - 21:28:09 PST

Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 00:28:09 EST
From: MCATALANI@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Fire Ants

>> Living in the northeastern part of the USA I was largely unfamiliar with
the
growing problem of exotic fire ants (Solenopsis invicta) in the southeastern
part of the country. I find it sadly ironic that as the fire ants spread,
the habitat for what is possibly the best natural defender, our beloved
Sarracenia, is decreasing. I am curious however if fire ants are attracted
to Sarracenia to the same degree native ants are. If so, would it not be
worthwhile to promote Sarracenia as a natural means of controlling the fire
ants? From what I have learned about fire ants it would seem that people
would love to find a natural control or, at least, something of a deterrant

o fire ant infestations.

Would someone who lives down in Dixie let this poor yankee know if I'm on
the right track with this line of thought?

Many thanks,

Jason Ashley>>
Warwick, NYFire Ants have become an extreme nuisance here in the Memphis area
during the past 7 years or so, although they were not near as bad this year.
I can tell you that they can show up in your yard by the millions overnite.
They are very hardy, and build their nests within the soil of my Sarracenia
bogs. (These bogs are about 2 feet deep. There is standing water about 8"-1
foot below the surface.) Even with the soil moisture being high, they have no
problems setting up their nests there. I have over watered the bogs a few
time to try to rid them. They will scramble madly, removing the young to
drier ground. But if the bog dries out, they will return. Overwatering
continuously will rid them for a while, as they apparantly get tired of
moving. The plants do capture some as food, but the sarracenias growing here
fill up immediately on the wasp population. They fill the pitcher so high
that the ants easily wander in and out of the pitcher. I have not checked the
contents of S. minor, but this would probably be the pitcher plant of choice
to fight these pests. Sundews should be good as well, but mine here are
covered with the smaller flying insects such as gnats.
Michael Catalani