Re: Pinguicula zecheri

From: schlauer@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Sun Dec 05 1999 - 03:52:32 PST

Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 11:52:32 +0000
From: schlauer@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Pinguicula zecheri

Dear Nathan,

> Lastly, when was this beauty first discoverd, & by whom?

This is difficult to tell because the native Mexicans did not leave
notes that we would be able to understand today. I suppose the first
European who has seen the plant was the collector of the type
specimen, S. Schatzl, on 28 August 1981. But maybe he was only
directed towards the plants by A. Lau (at least born in Europe), who
might have discovered them earlier. Still earlier collections may
exist that have been identified as _P. moranensis_.

Kind regards
Jan