looking for CPers in tropical areas

From: Pierre GELINAUD (piilou@hop.multimania.com)
Date: Sun Nov 28 1999 - 09:33:59 PST

Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 02:33:59 +0900
From: "Pierre GELINAUD" <piilou@hop.multimania.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: looking for CPers in tropical areas

Hi Marianne,

You wrote:
>Hi!
>I am looking for sites or people with experience growing Sarracenia in
>areas that never, ever see frost or temperatures below 10\272C. I would
>like to know how you convince your plants (if necessary) that they
>should go dormant. Please, can anyone help?
>
>Marianne

I'm living in subtropical condition, temperature last winter has just
gone down 9\260C for few days. At this time it's between 18\260C and
25\260C (not yet dormancy). Last winter I had only one sarracenia and
its dormancy was hort( 3 months) but it has grown well since. This year
I will have 4 sarracenias in the same condition. I just use some pots
that are high enough and keep a low level of water (1 cm with pots of 13
cm high). With short days and cool night around 12-13 \260C they will
go dormant or slow growing. They are outside with some fresh and dry
wind in January and february. My experience is short (only one year
with one plant) but anyway I can't do more for them. It could depends
on your species but I think the only one I'm sure won't accept this is
S.purpurea ssp. purpurea (and its hybrids). I hope this will help.

Pierre Gelinaud
http://www.multimania.com/piilou/
http://www.ii-okinawa.ne.jp/people/a-miya/
piilou@pop.multimania.com