worms (was cephalotus)

From: Rich Ellis (ricell@juno.com)
Date: Sun Nov 28 1999 - 08:09:40 PST

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 09:09:40 -0700
From: Rich Ellis <ricell@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: worms (was cephalotus)

On Sat, 27 Nov 1999 19:54:12 -0800 RonsNewID@aol.com writes:
> After reading here about 2 and 3 inch cephalotus traps I picked up my
puny
> (3/8 inch) specimen, I guess to either encourage or to shame it.
>
> Underneath the pot were dozens of worm castings, and among them was a
small
> earthworm. Earthworms are beneficial to most plants but maybe not to
CPs,
> since their castings are rich in nutrients.
>
> This particular plant has never been very robust in the couple of years
that
> I've had it. Its current growth, while small, is healthy. It recently
came
> up after the rest of the plant had just about died. I don't know how
long
> the worm(s?) lived in it.
>
> Has anyone here found earthworms in their CPs? Did the plant seem
stunted?
> Should I repot?

I have had occasional problems with worms as well. I strongly believe
that they originate from the peat moss which has motivated me to boil
peat moss (lovely aroma) before using in any potting mix.

While in normal soil they seem to be harmless and maybe even beneficial,
I am fairly certain they cause havoc in our soiless CP mixes. Frequently
when I have a plant that had been doing well that suddenly deteriorates,
I will find one or more of these worms - always curled up in the roots of
the ailing plant. If anyone knows how to get rid of these I would LOVE
to hear suggestions. Repotting can help but you have to remove ALL the
old soil to be certain they aren't hiding in the root ball. Depending on
the nature of the roots, this can be very damaging.

Rich

Boulder, Colorado http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/8564/