Re:Re:Yet another round of "Name that Nep!"

From: John Green (HPJGREEN@ihc.com)
Date: Thu Nov 18 1999 - 14:02:52 PST

Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 15:02:52 -0700
From: "John Green" <HPJGREEN@ihc.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Re:Yet another round of "Name that Nep!"

Jan wrote:
>_Nepenthes_ specimens offered for sale on supermarket shelves (or
>at Thai nurseries) are most frequently the garbage resulting from
>erratic or spontaneous hybridization... As far as I am concerned, I
do
>not find these plants particularly attractive, because they only
display
>"general-_Nepenthes_" appearance (i.e. most of them do look like
>_N. alata_)... A most dangerous phenomenon associated with the
>spread of undefined hybrids is "tentative identification" by
incomplete
>exclusion...

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I guess that explains why it
looked like N. alata to me, and I certainly understand why it can't be
ID'd. From now on I'll only buy from respectable growers, although my
wife picked this one up for me, and if she's contributing to my
collection I won't complain! (I also won't tell her you called it a
"dull bastard") ;-)

John Green
Salt Lake City, Utah