Re: More Thai Nepenthes Photos

From: schlauer@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Thu Nov 11 1999 - 00:53:51 PST

Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 08:53:51 +0000
From: schlauer@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: More Thai Nepenthes Photos

Dear Tom,

> Checking the N. mirabilis it did have ciliate leaf margins and a gap
> in the upper margin of the peristome I'll try and get a better photo
> of this later this month.

OK, in this case it is very probably _N. mirabilis_.

> As for sites all these Thai plants came from a Nepenthes nursery as
> cultivated plants. Yes even the one growing in the grasses. So I
> don't know where they came from prior to that.

Hmm, so the plants may even be of foreign (non Thai) origin. This
makes things much more complicated.

> Now for the Philippines this is a different matter. Thousands of plants,
> unlimited hybrids and species are on Mt. Legaspi. N. merrilliana and belli
> start out near the 1208km with alata's, mirabilis's, wilkei's, petiolata's
> on up towards the top with N. truncata near the PNP station. A plant about
> every 2 meters with natural hybrids mixed in. Hope this is close enough.

Oh yes, definitely. Thanks. But _N. wilkiei_ has so far been known
only from Palawan. Did you find similar plants on Mt. Legaspi? This
would be a considerable (NB: I do not mean impossible!) range
extension.

Kind regards
Jan