N. ventricosa in cultivation

From: ricell@juno.com
Date: Wed Nov 10 1999 - 14:30:22 PST

Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 15:30:22 -0700
From: ricell@juno.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: N. ventricosa in cultivation

My Nepenthes ventricosa tends to produce nicely colored pitchers on the
ground but once the vine gets going it only produces about 1 (pale green)
pitcher per 5-10 leaves. I'm assuming the first pitchers are akin to
lower pitchers even though they don't have the wings in front.

I'm curious if this sporadic production of upper pitchers is typical of
N. ventricosa or just of my clone and/or growing conditions. The plant
that I obtained a cutting from was huge, about 8 feet long with 10-20
growing points but did not have a single pitcher on it!

If it is just my clone, can anyone recommend a clone that produces
abundant upper pitchers? I like this species because of its very short
internodal distance.

Thanks,
Rich

Boulder, Colorado http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/8564/