Richards unusual utrics

From: loyd.wix@talk21.com
Date: Tue Nov 09 1999 - 14:43:44 PST

Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 22:43:44 GMT
From: loyd.wix@talk21.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Richards unusual utrics

Richard,

>Just wondering if anyone out there has access to, or grows, the
>unusual Utrics - from the section Phyllaria. Three examples are U.
>bractiata, U. kumaonensis and U. striatula. These plants are
found >mainly in Asia and are of great interest to me.

U.striatula was being cultivated by some of the Japanese Cpers, two
nice photos appeared in a very attractive book published a couple of
years ago (with a closed VFT trap with a caught fly on the front
cover with Heliamphora in habitat on the back cover). I cannot
remember the English translation of the title of the book but the
ISBN number is as follows:

ISBN4-416-49600-1

I once had a plant of U.striatula but failed to maintain this
species as I think I misunderstood its requirements -- I think I
kept it too warm and too water logged. As far as I know the other
interesting species you mention are yet to enter cultivation.

>Also, the following; U. tenella, U. multifida, U. westonii and
U. >menziesii. These species are from southern Western Australia.
>If anyone can help please let me know.

In the past I have grown U.multifida, tenella and westonii from seed
  obtained from Allen Lowrie. Of these three species I have only
  managed to see flowers with U.multifida. I have always lost
  U.tenella and U.westonii during the English Summer, they do not
  appear to withstand heat at all. Although I managed to keep
  U.multifida growing for a couple of year it was an uphill
  struggle. Most plants die following flowering, a small proportion
  do survive and some appear to form secondry plants from some leaf
  tips. I was able to generate seed by artificial pollination of
  the flowers but I always ended up with slightly less seed than I
  had originally planted. Thus, after a while my small population
  of cultivated plants faded away. If you! do try to grow these
  from seed, sow on a peat sand mix with a water level up to the
  same level as the surface of the compost. You're probably best
  off sowing the seed in late autumn/early winter.

Hope this helps

Loyd

-------------------- talk21 your FREE portable and private address
on the net at http://www.talk21.com