Dionaea

From: Richard Jobson (r.jobson@botany.uq.edu.au)
Date: Fri Nov 05 1999 - 23:11:46 PST

Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 18:11:46 +1100
From: "Richard Jobson" <r.jobson@botany.uq.edu.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Dionaea

Hey How about Dione (loves) musca (flies) and puli (fleas) or loves
musc (flies) and ipola (worms) or or musca (fly) ipala (impaler) he
omitted the m. Loves musci (mice) and pula (paul)a. Joking
Thanks Paul for the great history of VFT.
Reference
'Dicks Concise Latin Dictionary'. Richard Head Press.

Muscipula derives from "mus" and "capio". Mus means "mouse"
and capio
> means "I capture", so the plant is in fact Venus's Mousetrap,
not, I say
> again, not flytrap (which would have to be written in Latin as
> "muscaria").
Richard W. Jobson
Department of Botany
University of Queensland
Brisbane, Queensland 4072
Australia.
Ph: (07) 33651457; (H) 38315939
Fax:(07) 33651699
E-mail: r.jobson@botany.uq.edu.au

"It is the spirit of the age to believe that any fact, however suspect, is superior to any imaginative exercise, no matter how
true".
Gore Vidal.