Re: Vine weevils

From: Kevin Snively (ksnive@ricochet.net)
Date: Wed Nov 03 1999 - 17:57:32 PST

Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 17:57:32 -0800
From: Kevin Snively <ksnive@ricochet.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Vine weevils

On Wed, 03 Nov 1999, you wrote:

Thanks for the address information.

> I've actually seen the beetles for a number of years,but this is the first
> time that any of my plants have been 'infected'.

I see tnem just about everywhere around here also. In an older
version so Scientific Amercian I read about preditor insects cuing
in on the smell of prey based on oder and that as the food the the
prey species would change the preditors would have to re learn
to find the prey. It may well be that the weevils learn the smell
of the plant they hatched on and the adults then lay the next
generation og eggs on what smells like the food they grew up
on.

We need to see if we can get some of the college crowd
on the list to look into this. Some times it is just a matter of
raising someones curiosity.

krs