Re: D. nagamotoi?

From: Ivan Snyder (bioexp@juno.com)
Date: Tue Oct 19 1999 - 11:06:51 PDT

Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 11:06:51 -0700
From: Ivan Snyder <bioexp@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: D. nagamotoi?

>Hi Ivan,

>I'm wondering whether or not the colchicine treated, ploidy hybrid will
>breed true thus giving you the same phenotypic plant every time. My
first
>impression is no it won't but I'm still mulling over the genetics. I'll
>just pick 5 chromosome for ease, which leads to a doubling of 10 (if
that's
>what happened). As the 10 resort during meiosis you get two sets of 5
(or
>more accurately, half of each of the 10 chromosomes) . Chuckle, this
still
>hasn't lead me anywhere, which is why I'm still mulling over it. I'm
back
>to my impression that the genetics and the corresponding expression of
those
>genes that we see (phenotypes) will vary. Some of the offspring will
look
>more like anglica while others will look more like spatulata. I think
what
>probably happens in the wild when this occurs (for instance, with
linearis
>(?)), is that the fertile, double chromosome hybrid keeps interbreeding
with
>itself until the chromosome are so mixed up that the offspring show
little
>variation. Hence, a new species.

>David

Hi David,

     The first generation of hybrid D. x nagamotoi was varied. Some were
indeed more like the D. spatulata parent in leaf shape and were more
prostrate ( layed down on the ground). Others had more D. anglica
characteristics. Plants I have now are third generation, and the seed I
am giving out is fourth generation. You are correct, the traits do
stabilize to become less varied in subsequent generations. I have been
selecting for a plant shape near the center of differences.

I would like to point out here that as the seed I have now is fourth
generation, there will be no trace of the chemical colchicine on these.
Only the sterile hybrid parent plant of the first generation was treated
with the chemical.

The seed shape of my D. x nagamotoi is unique. It is most like D.
spatulata but the two end points are a bit projecting. The seed is larger
than spatulata and so these sprout to a larger size than with that
parent. Seed germination is about two to three weeks. I find this plant
compareably easy to grow as far as sundews go. Seed is planted and raised
in the same way as for the more common easy growers D. capensis, aliciae,
and spatulata.

Ivan Snyder
Hermosa Beach
California