Humidity Question

From: Steve Hinkson (sphinkson@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Sep 20 1999 - 02:12:40 PDT

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 02:12:40 -0700
From: Steve Hinkson <sphinkson@worldnet.att.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Humidity Question

        "I've read the general rule of thumb was if an Orchid could
grow, so can a
         CP."
Joe:
This statement only applies to the Nepenthes. Generally, though, it's
true. People assume the relative humidity must be much higher than
necessary to grow nice pitchered plants.
If the humidity is VERY low, Orchid root tips (which are often
visible) and flower scapes will burn. In that case, the pitcher
tendrils of the Nepenthes will too.
Since you're doing well with your Orchids, I'd say you're likely to do
well with Lowland Nepenthes too.
I live in the desert, and have some beautiful Orchids and Nepenthes
both. Our ambient relative humidity here is often below 10%. While I
do increase that for my plants, I rarely make it above
40% in the summer, because of the needed ventilation. If I get a
plant (Orchid, Nepenthes, or Platycerum) from an extremely humid
place, it often goes into shock, and burns back a bit, but then
recovers with a thicker leaf (both the palisade layer and cuticle
thicken). They then grow to be beautiful plants.
One advantage i do have, is that here, my leaves are often reddish on
my hanging CP, with big thick
pitchers. They are never the floppy things you see in some of the
nurseries where the leaves can't support the pitchers, but look just
like the plants in the "habitat photos".

I hope this encourages you to try.
Steve

--
Drop by and see me at :