Re: Content of 3 Lowrie books?

From: Richard Jenkins (richardjenkins@doctors.org.uk)
Date: Sun Sep 19 1999 - 13:41:47 PDT

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 21:41:47 +0100
From: "Richard Jenkins" <richardjenkins@doctors.org.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Content of 3 Lowrie books?

Hi Andrew,

> Can someone enlighten me as to the differences between
vols 1, 2 and
> 3 of Allen Lowrie's "Carnivorous Plants of Australia"?

Lowrie 1 is exclusively concerned with tuberous Drosera and
is next to impossible to obtain.

Lowrie 2 is 95% pygmies with a smattering of other drosera
and is the only CP book I know of which covers the pygmies
in detail. Other books which cover the pygmies include
Plants of Prey by Erickson and Flora of Australia 1982 Vol 8
p 9-64 by Marchant and George.

Lowrie 3 covers Utrics (with many inexplicable exceptions),
Cephalotus, Nepenthes, miscellaneous Drosera including a few
pygmies. I would strongly recommend obtaining Lowrie 3
whilst you can.

Good luck,

Richard