Re: Nep.Questions

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Mon Sep 13 1999 - 14:15:56 PDT

Date:          Mon, 13 Sep 1999 14:15:56
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: Nep.Questions

Dear Robert,

> N. Redlanderi - (N.Anamensis x N. Northiana x N. Maxima)
(...)
> BTW. Has anyone ever heard of this cross? (N. Redlanderi) It seems
> pretty rare. If not, I think I may have a new cultivar here.

Yes and no. The name was published (CPN 22:98, 1993, i.e. before I
was a co-editor!) without a description or type. It is therefore a
nomen nudum (invalid). It cannot be established as a culivar name
because it is Latin. There are some cultivars of _N. *dianiana_,
which is likewise a nomen nudum and a nomenclatural synonym of _N.
*redlanderi_. None of these cultivars was ever described, however. So
none of the names has been established, and none should be used (use
the hybrid formula instead; this is unambiguous).

Kind regards
Jan