Help: Parasites

From: Marcus Rossberg (Marcus.Rossberg@phil-fak.uni-duesseldorf.de)
Date: Sun Sep 05 1999 - 03:25:22 PDT

Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 12:25:22 +0200
From: "Marcus Rossberg" <Marcus.Rossberg@phil-fak.uni-duesseldorf.de>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Help: Parasites

A friend of mine went on holiday and she asked me to take her scirpus in
care. Since I grow CPs, she said, a bunch of gras should be of no
trouble to me. Needless to say, it carried parasites. I'm German and
so I don't know the english name of the bug, the latin is coccina, at
least think this is it. My VFTs seem to be uneffected, my S. purpurea
is carrying them, but is showing no negative effect, so I spent months
just collecting the louses away, whenever I saw one, untill finally for
a couple of weeks I thought I got rid of them. But now they back with a
vengeance and got to my S. alata, which is dying from it. What can I
do? I successfully used a spray containing pyrethrum and
piperonylbutoxid on the stupid scirpus, and used sticks, that are put in
the compost, to save my own ficus tree. The sticks contain
butoxivarboxim. Once I tried to cure a S. psittacina from plant-louses
with those sticks and it died, but I don't know if it died of the sticks
or because it was too late already. Does anybody know, if I can use one
of those insecticides without harming my sarraceniae? Is there another,
safe method to do so? I'm really desperate!

Thanks in advance, greetings
Marcus