Re: Freezing Binata

From: Mark Bachelor (bachelor@gateway.mggs.vic.edu.au)
Date: Thu Aug 26 1999 - 16:44:11 PDT

Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 09:44:11 +1000
From: Mark Bachelor <bachelor@gateway.mggs.vic.edu.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Freezing Binata

As D. binata sub-species are found from tropical Queensland to temperate
Victoria & Tassie, you to expect that not all will survive freezing. I
would never let my Multifidas get that cold, but the local D. binata
binata can definately suvive freezing temperatures (not that we get
those conditions very often, but we did last year, three times in fact)
although they do not normally experience extended periods of extreme
cold. All the plants that I know of are in coastal areas and so would
rarely experience snow or having their roots frozen. In the wild these
plants are usually amongst vegetation that would shelter them from the
brief extremes of temperature.

--
Regards

Mark T. Bachelor Biology Technician Melbourne Girls Grammar School Voice: +61 (03) 9866 1676 South Yarra, Victoria, Fax: +61 (O3) 9866 5768 Australia 3141

Lab Techs' Branch of STAV, South Yarra & Moorabbin Regional Rep.