Bogs in temperate regions

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Sun Aug 22 1999 - 13:42:33 PDT

Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 13:42:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Bogs in temperate regions

Hi everyone,

        As I said in my 'moving' message, I'm hoping for some input on
building and maintaining bogs in regions with frequent snow and below
freezing temps. I'm not sure what growing zone the Okanagan is in, but
winter temps on average are about -5C, although they can certainly drop
lower on occasion. I was hoping to build a small bog to house my various
Sarrs., plus some vft's and sundews. I'm not too worried about the
northern ones, or the hybrids, but I'm a little concerned about the vft's
and some of the more southern Sarrs such as S.flava and leuco. If anyone
can recommend a good bog depth, mulch thickness (plus mulch type, before
the snow arrives), how to prepare the plants for the winter, etc. etc.

        I think it may be possible, as I have read accounts of people
doing this in other cold regions such as Colorado and Ohio. So again, I'm
looking for words of the wise. If not, I'll do it anyways and report back
what happens by the spring! Thanks in advance to anyone who provides
advice!

Happy growing,

Chris

Chris Teichreb