RE: S. American cp's

From: Fernando Rivadavia Lopes (fe_rivadavia@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 13 1999 - 16:43:36 PDT

Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 18:43:36 EST
From: "Fernando Rivadavia Lopes" <fe_rivadavia@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: S. American cp's

Hi Ed,

>I am currently planning a week long vacation to the amazon river in
>s.america, was wondering what type of cp's should I be on the lookout for
>besides the s. american sun pitcher?

          Sorry to say you won't be seeing any Heliamphora (sun pitchers)
along the Amazon River or any of its tributaries, unless you decided to
climb one of the high tepuys to the north of the Amazon Basin.

          As for other CPs, there are Drosera and Utricularia in the Amazon
Basin, but they are very rare, especially Drosera. You're most likely to
find one of numerous aquatic Utricularia species native to this region. But
they appear to grow in very specific habitats called "igarapes" (accent on
the "e"). These are calm channels connecting rivers or river branches.

Good Luck!!

Fernando Rivadavia
Sao Paulo, Brazil

P.S. Don't forget to write back to the listserv when you return and tell
us if you found anything. And if you do find CPs, don't forget to take
pictures and hopefully even herboriza a plant or two -- dry them in
newspaper or a book (which will help to identify it later!).